Sunday, January 12, 2014

Quote of the day

"Punk rock is a word used by dilettantes and heartless manipulators about music that takes up the energies, and the bodies, and the hearts, and the souls, and the time, and the minds of young men who give what they have to it… I don’t know Johnny Rotten, but I’m sure he puts as much blood and sweat into what he does as Sigmund Freud did. What sounds to you like a big load of trashy old noise is in fact the brilliant music of a genius - myself. And that music is so powerful that it’s quite beyond my control, and when I’m in the grips of it I don’t feel pleasure and I don’t feel pain, either physically or emotionally."

You learn something new every day - in this case, that the person sampled so memorably on 'Punk Rock', the opening track on Mogwai's Come On Die Young, is Iggy Pop. Here's the track, here's footage of the interview with Iggy Pop that provided the source material, and here's a fascinating list of ways in which people have defined punk.

No comments: