Friday, January 10, 2014

Know Your Enemy

"How edgy Channel 4 must think it is, courageously reinforcing widespread prejudices, heroically hammering away at a message that is heard relentlessly already, bravely echoing the Government mantra about skivers."

Thus begins Owen Jones' response to Channel 4's Benefits Street for the Independent. At risk of sounding like a Daily Heil reader commenting on a Chris Morris programme, I should admit that I didn't actually see the show myself, but if it was distorting as Jones describes, then I fully subscribe to his argument about the willful irresponsibility of the programme-makers. After all, as I've mentioned round these parts before, the British public are already ignorant and unjustly prejudiced as a result of such portrayals, and it's largely thanks to the media.

No comments: