Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Feel good hits of the 27th November

1. 'Mladic' - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
2. 'Mr Brownstone' - Guns 'N' Roses
3. 'Someone Great' - LCD Soundsystem
4. 'My Name Is Jonas' - Weezer
5. 'Heaven Is A Truck' - Pavement
6. 'Been Away Too Long' - Soundgarden
7. 'Thank God For Sinners' - Ty Segall
8. 'The Name Of The Game' - ABBA
9. 'Speak In Rounds' - Grizzly Bear
10. 'Only' - Nine Inch Nails

Notes:

1. A stunning track which is positively swarming with guitars and which is named after a notorious war criminal. A very warm welcome back, you lovely, enigmatic, pretentious buggers.

2. Essential requirements for a successful stag do: some men, a room, a lot of beer, and Appetite For Destruction at high volume. And that's it. (Incidentally, 3 and 4 were also highlights of a recent shindig in Swansea.)

5. Not sure why this endearingly wonky Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain classic crept into my head recently, but it did, and I'm definitely not complaining.

6. I'm slowly coming round to this, but not sure if I want to investigate comeback album King Animal, which seems to have been received pretty much unanimously as something of an anachronism, if an impressive one. It has sent me back to Superunknown and the underrated Down On The Upside, though.

10. Is it just my ears, or does this betray an LCD Soundsystem influence?

No comments: