Sunday, July 29, 2012

Feel good hits of the 29th July

1. 'Prayer To God' - Shellac
3. 'I Want You' - Spiritualized
4. 'It's So Obvious' - Wire
5. 'If I Have Been Unkind' - Lanterns On The Lake
8. 'Crystalised' - The XX
9. 'Harbourview Hospital' - Mark Lanegan

Notes:

1. The perfect Saturday morning pick-me-up. Trust me. Just don't wander round the supermarket muttering the lyrics.

2. The highlight of an album that, although I can't stop listening to, nevertheless realises those fears that things wouldn't be quite the same without Rachel Fannan.

3. OK, so now the first half of Lazer Guided Melodies is starting to reveal its brilliance...

4. Still teetering on the edge of signing up for the Shellac ATP, and the announcement that Wire will be on the bill certainly did nothing to dissuade me.

6. Give it a bit of time and I reckon Segall's latest Slaughterhouse could become - for me at least - this year's Post-Nothing or New Brigade.

7. Talk about overblown. I bought Release The Stars for the recorded version of 'Going To A Town', but this made an even bigger impression.

9. Lanegan's genius is to sing lines that only he could sing and that you imagine he must surely have sung a thousand times before and yet that are totally new.

10. For fans of The Big Pink and M83, I'd say. Hardly revolutionary in sound or video, but worth checking out all the same.

No comments: