Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Feel good hits of the 27th September

1. 'The Copper Top' - Bill Wells & Aidan Moffat
2. 'What You Know' - Blanck Mass
3. 'Rolled Together' - The Antlers
4. 'Skippin' Town' - The Drums
5. 'All Arounder' - Oneida
6. 'Get To France' - Mogwai
7. 'Precarious Stair' - Crystal Stilts
8. 'My Machines' - Battles
9. 'Red Star' - EMA
10. 'Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa' - Vampire Weekend

Notes:

1. Arguably the most poignant track of a brilliantly poignant album (the utterly filthy 'Glasgow Jubilee' aside), and one whose impact is increased by a great video. Birth, love and death - the only reasons to get dressed up". My two Arab Strap albums aren't enough.

2. Ambient loveliness courtesy of Fuck Buttons' Benjamin John Power.

3. Burst Apart lacks the gripping narrative of Hospice, but there's still plenty to recommend it - not least this gorgeous indie take on Air.

4. I've come to the Drums' debut album late (given that their second, Portamento, is already out) but can't dispute its simple, unadulterated pop thrills.

5. That'd be an Oneida album on the shopping list at long last, then...

6. Sorry to read that the 'Gwai have cancelled their live appearances this week (including a set at the US I'll Be Your Mirror) for medical reasons - hopefully it's nothing too serious.

7. I've worked out what I like so much about In Love With Oblivion - it's basically an album's worth of songs in the mould of Women's 'Black Rice'.

9. Not cracked Past Life Martyred Saints yet, but I'll keep persisting...

2 comments:

skif said...

1: "I went for all-purpose black, or 'charcoal grey' as he called it.[beat] Looks black to me" is the bit I like best.

I remember really not getting on with Arab Strap when they played the Wedgewood Rooms 100 years ago, but I certainly like what I've heard since, and am looking forward to seeing Moffat & Wells at Cargo next month on the strength of this track, as I've not heard anything other than the session they did on Marc Riley's programme.

5: Got sent a couple of Oneida LP's in the VP days which I thought rather good, although I wasn't so blown away when I saw them live earlier this year.

Ben said...

I've only got Philophobia and The Red Thread by Arab Strap - the former seems to be regarded as the classic, but I prefer the latter (moodier and more experimental). The Wells & Moffat album is really good, though 'The Copper Top' is probably the high point, to be honest.

As for Oneida, I've just ordered Anthem Of The Moon from which this is taken. I've had an early EP for years, but never went any further than that. Started listening to some stuff while continuing with the painstaking write-up of last December's ATP at which they played - we only dropped in on a bit of their ten-hour set, though, so it wasn't that surprising we caught a lull...