Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Word imperfect

Apologies for the gripe, but as a Scrabble aficionado I'm rather irritated that it's taken a pink-wigged transsexual winning the national title to get the game in the news. To the story's author, who refers to Scrabble's "sleepy reputation", I'd recommend Stefan Fatsis' Word Freak, an excellent account of one man's immersion in the frequently bitchy, cut-throat and dysfunctional world of top players (review to appear on this site some time, maybe, hopefully...).

Incidentally, belated congratulations to friend and former colleague Nick Ascroft, who as a member of the Oxford Dons together with Steve Perry and Stewart Houten took the title in the recent National Club Tournament. I'd be lying if I said there isn't a measure of satisfaction in knowing that at some point in the last couple of years I've beaten all three of them...

No comments: