Thursday, April 10, 2008

A birdhouse in my soul


Vic Swettenham (b. circa 2000 d. 10th April 2008)

Born some time around the year 2000, Vic Swettenham fluttered his feathery little way into our lives in the summer of 2006.

With his fondness for good-natured squawking, scampering across the carpet, perching on cable wires and embarking upon regular short-haul flights before stopping to refuel, he soon became a much-loved member of the family.

For a budgie, he was remarkably well travelled, on one occasion visiting Nottingham, Northumberland and Bury in the space of seven days, and on another heading off to the Gower for a weekend of bunk barn frolics.

Sadly, after a short illness and despite the best efforts of the vet, he passed away peacefully back at home this morning.

Vic is survived by his runty, bossy, flightless friend and constant companion Bob.

Nos da, little fella. RIP.

2 comments:

Del said...

RIP Vic Swettenham budgie. I never knew ye, but we had a budgie called Billy when I was a kid...

He lived a ridiculously long time, something like 14 years, from brightening up my childhood to squaking loudly through my first hangovers. Towards the end of his life I took the little guy for granted. But when my Mum called me at university to tell me he'd passed on, I collapsed in tears. You don't know what you got til it's gone, etc.

Ben said...

Almost exactly the same thing happened with my family's dog, Sita. I moved away from home for the first time on 1st March 1997, during my gap year, and before the month was out Sita had died. Pretty shattering, as we'd had her for most of my childhood.

There've been a few tears here and in Cardiff tonight. It's come at a shit time too - Jenni's parents' dog Blue died at the end of March.

Currently deciding whether to get another couple of budgies to keep Bob company...