Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Robbin' 'hood

Uh-oh, more bad press for Nottingham, this time in the shape of the news that it's been named the burglary capital of the UK. Apparently "residents there were more than twice as likely to make a claim for household theft than the company's national average". Nottinghamshire Police have disputed the claims, but mud will inevitably stick.

In my seven years in the city, I was never actually a victim of burglary myself, though several friends were. Although it doesn't constitute burglary, my brother had two bikes nicked in the space of around three months towards the tail end of last year - the second from his back yard at 11am in broad daylight. Needless to say, crime levels (in tandem with artificially high rent) are starting to have a noticeable impact - Lenton, which used to be the vibrant hub of the off-campus community, is now increasingly deserted, the To Let signs lining the streets even in term time as students decide they'd be better off living elsewhere.

I can't sign off without mentioning the time five years ago when my then housemate Matt's rusty old Metro was stolen from outside our house. Turns out it had been taken by joyriders, and was found by the police parked outside the 14-year-old perpetrator's house, a cushion on the driver's seat and the footwells full of Wotsits...

3 comments:

swisslet said...

touch wood, but we've not had a problem in the 10 years we've been here either. The thing is that they are really tight on their definitions of what constitutes "Nottingham"... so you have one of the worst places for crime literally right next door to one of the places with the lowest crime rates in the country. As if burglars won't cross the Trent.

Pah.

Nonsense.

Mind you, I drove through Sneinton and St. Anne's this afternoon. Mmm. Lovely, but I didn't stop.

ST

Ben said...

I wouldn't have imagined there'd be much of a problem in West Bridgford - but then it is a town in itself, if still a part of Nottingham.

The stolen car ended up in Radford, BTW, which was worse than Lenton for theft/burglary/mugging etc "in my day" - still the case now?

swisslet said...

I used to live in Stapleford you know. It hasn't all been WB for me here.....