Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Ch-ch-ch-changes

On the very first morning in my new job, after a weekend preoccupied with the myriad mini traumas of moving house, I came across the following:

"This chaos and instability, which is fundamental, founding and irreducible, is at once, naturally the worst against which we struggle with laws, rules, conventions, politics and provisional hegemony, but at the same time it is a chance, a chance to change, to destabilise. If there were continual stability, there would be no need for politics, and it is to the extent that stability is not natural, essential or substantial, that politics exists and ethics is possible. Chaos is at once a risk and a chance".

You trying to tell me something, Monsieur Derrida? Given that there are more upheavals to come in the next few months with regard to my / our "Cardiff life", I'd probably do best to heed those words and adopt a positive outlook.

Still, a bit galling to discover that the reason one of my team was off yesterday was because she'd been to the Dirty Three-curated All Tomorrow's Parties in Minehead - I would have KILLED to have been watching Nick Cave, Low, Cat Power, The Drones etc instead of trawling around Argos and Homebase... Sadly, the consolation prize (A Silver Mt Zion at the Zodiac on Thursday) has also proven to be out of reach - it sold out some time ago. Looks like I won't now make it there until after it reopens its doors as an Academy venue in the autumn.

No comments: