Saturday, December 09, 2006

Quote of the day

"About time too. Somebody won it for having a light going on and off one year. I wish I was on the committee that decides who gets it.

We all admire artists who can draw and paint something exactly as it looks to us. But that must get really boring for them so they move on to something that excites them.

All the best artists in the world could paint something that looked so real you'd want to touch it, but then they went a bit weird. Look at Picasso and Van Gogh. They saw things in a different way to us which is marvellous but I don't think turning a light on and off is art.

If that's the case I'm a fantastic artist because I turn the lights on and off and sometimes I turn them on and forget to turn them off and my wife goes mad.
"

In his column for the BBC website, Plymouth Argyle manager and legendary idiot savant Ian Holloway reacts to the news that the Turner Prize has been won by a painter, Tomma Abts. Who needs professional art critics, eh?

(Abts' paintings are rather good, aren't they?)

No comments: