Monday, September 11, 2006

City delights

Oxford: the city of dreaming spires, of centuries of culture and learning. How, then, did I find myself spending the latter portion of my second ever visit this weekend in the local Yates, complete with Smurf-vocalled dance remixes and one of those knobbish DJs who adopts a special booming "havin' it large" voice when introducing songs?

In my defence, a good portion of the late afternoon and early evening was spent in the much more civilised environs of the Turf Tavern, imbibing a heady combination of Red McGregor and Weston's Old Rosie. Mention must also be made of the delicious burger procured from the Tavern's outdoor barbecue - it's been a long time since I've tasted better.

Appropriately enough given that the city is home to the world famous dictionary, I also learnt a new word, uttered by a young chap who took umbrage at something said by one of our party: "I'm gonna shank you". No idea what it means, though. Have you?

No comments: