Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Criminal Records #7

'The Last Ever Love Song' - David Devant And His Spirit Wife

I hope you appreciate what I'm putting myself through for this little project, I really do. I made myself listen to the David Devant album Work, Lovelife, Miscellaneous last night, for research purposes only of course, and I don't think I've ever felt quite so filled with self-loathing. How in the name of Beelzebub could I possibly ever have thought that this was a good thing? The Divine Comedy were one of the most abominable boils on the sweaty arse that was Britpop. They shunned and sneered at the beery indie anthems of Oasis et al; instead they took their cue from the arch pop of Pulp and the wry observational lyrics of Jarvis Cocker, but produced such offensively smug and witless dross that you wanted to garrotte chief tosser Neil Hannon with his scarf. Well, it's hard to believe, but David Devant And His Spirit Wife were WORSE. If I recall correctly, Mr Devant himself used to sport an unappealing moustache (come to think of it, I've never seen him and Har Mar Superstar in the same room at the same time...) and frilly dress shirts, and 'The Last Ever Love Song' has an end-of-the-pier cabaret waltz feel to it that makes you want to stave your own head in with a brick.

No comments: