Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Live aid

2008 was my most intense year of gig-going since records (i.e. this 'ere blog) began - in addition to Glastonbury, I went to almost 30 gigs. So it was a bit of a shock when I realised that, discounting the Breeders-curated ATP and Glasto, I went to just five gigs in the first six months of this year (Dananananaykroyd, Holy Fuck, Howling Bells, Passion Pit and Sky Larkin). Something to do with the move to Abingdon at the end of January and a return to domestic bliss, perhaps, but also a reflection on the quality of shows that were being put on in Oxford, I think.

But I've caught Dinosaur Jr and Einstellung in recent weeks (review of the latter to follow shortly) and just reading my diary for the next couple of months has got my eardrums quaking. Where have all the great gigs come from?! The drought is very definitely over.

Here's what's definitely on the agenda:

And So I Watch You From Afar (23rd September, Cellar)
Johnny Foreigner (6th October, Jericho Tavern)
Bat For Lashes (8th October, Zodiac)
Electric Eel Shock (20th October, Zodiac)
Dananananaykroyd or The Broken Family Band (25th October, Zodiac and Jericho Tavern)
Japandroids (27th October, Soho Madame Jojos)
Los Campesinos! (29th October, Zodiac)
We Were Promised Jetpacks (12th November, Jericho Tavern)
Wavves (18th November, Jericho Tavern)

And here are other possibles:

The Fiery Furnaces (20th September, Zodiac)
The XX (2nd October, Jericho Tavern)
Fanfarlo (5th October, Jericho Tavern)
Idlewild (18th October, Zodiac)
No Age (19th October, London Scala)
Good Shoes (10th November, Jericho Tavern)
The Fall (15th November, Zodiac)

And that's not to mention Southsea Fest (featuring It Hugs Back and The Joy Formidable, amongst others) in a couple of weeks' time or the back-to-back ATP weekends in December...

Of course, me being me, I can't help but rue the ones that will get away because of other commitments: Ungdomskulen at the Jericho Tavern, Okkervil River at the Zodiac and especially Fuck Buttons at the Cellar. And then there's the one that already got away, back in July - I've spent much of this evening marvelling at all the youtube footage of Nisennenmondai, the Japanese answer to Krautrock, performing at Upset The Rhythm in London and cursing myself...

6 comments:

mike said...

I'm seeing Bat For Lashes as well. - with Yeasayer supporting, which is a major added bonus. My sources tell me that The xx are a superb live act, so I'm looking forward to seeing them while they're still playing tiny venues. Bad luck on Okkervil River and Fuck Buttons... and especially on the amazing Ungdomskulen (wish they were coming to town again).

skif said...

Looking at this post, you should really join us nerds over at SongKick!

http://www.songkick.com/users/skif45

I've become a little obsessed with it.

Ben said...

Mike: Didn't realise Yeasayer were supporting BFL - gig only seems to have been announced very recently. As you know, I'm not too enamoured of Yeasayer but will be interested to see if they change my mind live. Fuck Buttons I'm not too disappointed about as I'll see them at ATP in December (and already saw them at Supersonic in Brum in 2007), but Ungdomskulen sound really good - shame we're at a wedding reception up in your neck of the woods that night!

Skif: Cheers for the pointer - will check that out. Speaking of people who've seen and enjoyed The XX live - you have, haven't you?

mike said...

Re. The xx, that's a pleasure yet to come, in just over 3 weeks' time. They've already got a lot to live up to...

skif said...

Sadly not.

I have seen the XX Teens though.

Ben said...

Skif: Ah, easily confused...

Mike: I heard a rumour today that they've already sold out, sadly. No one to blame but myself if I do end up missing out!