Sunday, September 07, 2008

Water world

Last summer, my adopted home town of Abingdon was struck by flooding. Returning from a weekend in London, I had to wade through knee-deep floodwater past cars bobbing up and down to get to my front door. This year, it's been the turn of my real home town Morpeth, described by someone from the Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service as "a scene of utter devastation" as a result of the River Wansbeck bursting its banks.

Being hundreds of miles away and looking at the pictures online is rather like watching a disaster movie - lots of familiar places and landmarks suddenly set in a post-apocalyptic context. Saddest of all is the sight of the Red Bull, the pub of my youth (cheap beer, pool table, cheese toasties, eccentric jukebox, even more eccentric owners).










(Photos by Nicola Worsley)

1 comment:

Gliiitches said...

Not the 'Crimson Cow'! When I heard this on Five Live I was hoping you'd post some pictures: morbid curiosity I guess, but so sad. Fingers crossed no one we know has been badly affected.