Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Feel good hits of the 29th July

A specially extended edition, as I've been consuming a lot of music lately - hooray for new headphones which don't have the wire exposed, even if they are taking a little while to feel comfortable...

1. 'Sleeper Hold' - No Age
2. 'Royal Gregory' - Holy Fuck
3. 'Today's Lesson' - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
4. 'Doesn't Matter Much' - Blood Red Shoes
5. 'Broke Up The Time' - The Futureheads
6. 'Clairaudients (Kill Or Be Killed)' - Bright Eyes
7. 'Jezebel' - The Drones
8. 'Videotape' - Radiohead
9. 'Total Belief' - Malcolm Middleton
10. 'You! Me! Dancing!' - Los Campesinos!
11. 'Covered In Hair' - Juno
12. 'With Portfolio' - Mogwai
13. 'The Go In The Go-For-It' - Grandaddy
14. 'Motion Pictures' - Neil Young
15. 'Sweet Girl' - Ringo Deathstarr

Footnotes:

1. Over the last week Nouns has really clicked - not quite sure why I didn't fall prostrate at its feet from the very beginning, but there you go. Just had to order one of these when I came across them this evening, too...

2. Jenni in the wake of Glastonbury: "Holy Fuck? They sound awful! Are they death metal?" Jenni in the car on Saturday: "This is good. Who is it? Holy Fuck? OK, I like Holy Fuck." Knew she would, too, given her love for their friends and associates !!!.

3. Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! is a filthy album all round, isn't it?

8. This is currently soundtracking Film4's trailer to its Ingmar Bergman season. See what they've done there.

10. If that doesn't sound like a typical Malcolm Middleton song, that would be because the full chorus refers to "my total belief in the depth of my unworthiness". And how's this for lyrics: "I know you're with me / I know you felt the same / I know this 'cos I've never had an original thought in my brain".

11. A conversation about Fugazi in the pub on Friday night prompted me to dig Juno's A Future Lived In Past Tense. Much more glossy and stadium rock than I remember. Still good, though.

12. Revisiting this one was inspired by Ian's tale of the memories it conjures up for him, as detailed in his excellent review of the remastered / repackaged edition of Young Team for Pop Matters.

1 comment:

Ian said...

Thanks for the mention.

Nouns is only okay in my books, but that shirt is pretty awesome.