Monday, February 27, 2006

Right to reply

Well, it was bound to happen sometime. It's just a surprise it's taken so long - as I reflected over on Pete's site when he was the recipient of similar comments.

Following last week's gig review, this comment has appeared:

"A friend of the Band found this blog by accident. It's a shame the person reviewing our gig didn't have the balls to tell us what they thought of us to our respective faces and the crowd that came to see us when he saw us play - oh the joys of the internet.

I appreciate we're not everyone's cup of tea however, I find it lazy journalism to write us off as a Stone Roses clone.

Finally, I would probably have been more concerned about this short paragraph slating my band but it would appear that this website is very rarely used by anyone that may have a worthy opinion so I'll be sleeping easy tonight.

See you on the way back down eh lads?

Delta Red
"

On the whole I think this is a restrained mud-slinging-free response to what was, with hindsight, a pretty sharp review, so the least I can do is dignify it by responding in kind.

First up, while I can see it might be unsettling for bands to think there are people lurking in the crowd waiting to pen critical reviews, it's part and parcel of being in a band. Put yourself on a stage and you're there to be shot at (just as I am by putting myself on a virtual stage here - you had every right to reply). That said, I don't set out to take pot shots at bands, especially not at those who are just starting out. I call it as I see it, without intentionally setting out to cause offence.

Introducing myself to the band and explaining my views? Not always practical, and that's not just a get-out clause. I've spoken to plenty of bands post-performance, though - this isn't about being a faceless sniper. And telling the crowd what I thought of the performance? Well, I have done - if people are interested they can find the review here via Google. The implication seems to be that I should have taken to the stage between sets to deliver my verdict orally. Er, right...

Was the Stone Roses comparison "lazy journalism"? Perhaps, but then it sounded like lazy indie to these ears, I'm afraid.

Delta Red certainly weren't my cup of tea, but (and the review didn't mention this, admittedly) they went down very well with many of those present. Which, of course, leads onto the final point. This site has, ahem, a modest number of readers, and is the vehicle for the opinions of one person - so to shrug off the review as the ravings of one lone gunman is a perfectly reasonable response.

Not quite so sure about the slight on the worthiness of your opinions, readers, but there you are...

The band member who left the comment didn't leave an email address, but if you're reading and want to come back on any of these points, then feel free to contact me at silentwordsspeakloudestAThotmail.com. Let it not be said that communication is unidirectional with this site...

No comments: