Tuesday, January 13, 2004

The big read

As has been the case for the last few years, one of my aims for 2004 (I wouldn't glorify it as a resolution as such) is to read more for pleasure. This time I'm determined to do it. I'm already well on the way to finishing Salman Rushdie's 'Fury', and I've got a great pile of books waiting to be looked at (the consequence of buying books faster than I read them):

FICTION
Virginia Woolf, 'The Waves' / 'The Years'
Martin Amis, 'Money'
Don DeLillo, 'Underworld'
Salman Rushdie, 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet'
Ian Rankin, 'Resurrection Men'
Philip Roth, 'Portnoy's Complaint'
Bret Easton Ellis, 'Glamorama'
Saul Bellow, 'The Adventures Of Augie March'
Thomas Pynchon, 'Mason And Dixon'
Julian Barnes, 'Flaubert's Parrot'
Jonathan Frantzen, 'The Twenty-Seventh City'
Frederic Beigbeder, '9.99'

NON-FICTION
Jon Savage, 'England's Dreaming'
Melvyn Bragg, 'The Adventures Of English'
Kurt Cobain, 'Journals'
Ziauddin Sardar and Merryl Wyn Davies, 'Why Do People Hate America?'
John Simpson, 'A Mad World, My Masters: Tales From A Traveller's Life'

Ultimately I want to get through them all, but in the meantime any suggestions on what to read next?

(And yes, Kenny, you were the inspiration behind my recent purchase of 'Mason And Dixon' - the fact that it was available as slightly damaged stock for 99p in The Works was merely the icing on the cake!)

No comments: