Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Old indie singers don't die, they just write bloody awful sounding books

Remember Sleeper, the absolute epitome of all that was sick and wrong with the mid-90s Britpop boom? You do? Well, we're in the same unfortunate boat, you and me. The horror! The horror! And now I'm afraid I have to share with you the news that frontwoman Louise Wener hasn't just faded away and disappeared with a modicum of decency and dignity. Oh no. I've discovered that the author of some of the most dire lyrics ever committed to record is now a published novelist whose first book 'Goodnight Steve McQueen' was rated "Brilliant!" by OK! Somehow I doubt Will Self need feel threatened just yet.

For anyone who's remotely interested (ie most definitely not me), you can read the tale of Sleeper's meteoric rise to superstardom, legendary rock 'n' roll excess and tragic demise as told by Ms Wener herself here.

No comments: