Wednesday, December 04, 2002

Shearer sticks it to the Toffees

My slightly belated comments on Sunday's win over Everton - nearly an hour and a half of tension and frustration building and building, and then five minutes of sheer bliss at the end. (I could have made that sound even more sexual, but I abhor gratuitous vulgarity, as I'm sure you've realised by now...). Kevin Campbell scored against us at St James' YET AGAIN and after Yobo was sent off I must admit Everton did defend with admirable resilience (although ably assisted by some wayward finishing on our part), but anyone claiming we didn't deserve the victory is quite frankly talking out of their arse. Apart from the goal, Everton had no chances - we had ALL the opportunities and made ALL the play. OK, so we huffed and puffed but in the end Bellamy's fortuitous winner was just desserts. Shearer's equaliser though - WHAT A GOAL! He's got a foot like a traction engine. I'm sure I'm not alone among Newcastle fans in thinking that UEFA should let him off his Champions' League ban for elbowing Cannavaro purely on the strength of the quality of that strike...

No comments: