Thursday, December 05, 2002

Partridge: "da bomb", not "a bomb"

Thus far I've avoided commenting on the 'debate' about whether or not 'I'm Alan Partridge' is having a damaging influence in its depiction of Norfolk and its inhabitants, but remaining silent is no longer an option, given the content of yesterday's Eastern Daily Press newspaper. Following in the wake of claims by West Norfolk councillor Charles Joyce that the series does indeed have a detrimental effect, UEA academic Victor Morgan wrote, in all seriousness: "This type of thing can destroy individual lives or damage economies just as surely as can unfounded allegations on the internet or the terrorist's bomb". WHAT A FUCKING COCK. And all this despite the fact that 86% of respondents to an EDP online poll dismissed the programme as harmless. So, Mr Morgan, The Facts:

1. Alan Partridge is the finest comic creation for years.

2. He is not in any way explosive and does not pose a threat to the lives of innocent Norfolk civilians.

Almost equally baffling, though, are the comments of some of those who are defending 'I'm Alan Partridge' as harmless. Independent councillor Andy Pearmain has been quoted as saying: "At the back of my mind I'm honest enough to accept that Norwich is a bit of a cultural backwater". Now, forgive me for being defensive, but I've loved the place ever since I first visited, and Norwich is NOT a "cultural backwater". It is a beautiful, friendly, historic and yet vibrant city, and if all this escapes the attention of even its own councillors, it strikes me that the debate should centre on them and their perceptions, not on how the city is depicted in a comedy series.

No comments: