Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Time bomb

Slaves' recent forthright tweet about publicising set times - or, rather, not - has sparked quite a debate. I'm no fan of the band, but appreciate the sentiment behind the statement: basically, support live music in all its forms by getting to the venue early rather than only turning up late, just in time to see the headliners whose music you already know.

However, as has since been pointed out to them, it's not quite as simple as that. Knowing the set times can, for instance, be enormously helpful for anyone who has to factor in transport arrangements. I count myself very fortunate these days, living within easy walking distance of all of my most frequented gig venues, but that's not always been the case.

Set times are particularly useful in my capacity as a reviewer. Asking for them on social media always feels a little embarrassing, as no doubt some people suspect that you only want to know so you can time your arrival to coincide with the headliners appearing on stage. But I like to have advance warning so I can do everything possible to be there for the opening act. The biggest barriers to achieving that, personally speaking, are work and particularly childcare responsibilities. If I was at liberty to get to every gig from the very start, then I generally would - but sadly life simply doesn't allow me that luxury.

I say "generally" for a reason. While my natural inclination is to arrive early and to help support venues by spending money at their bars, I don't feel the same way about every establishment. Buying locally brewed pints in Clwb Ifor Bach is one thing; voluntarily subjecting myself to the awful beer and criminal prices at the Motorpoint Arena and Academy venues long before I actually have to is quite another.

No comments: