Monday, July 30, 2018

Free thinking

Freelancing has been on the rise since 2001 - but is it all it's cracked up to be?

There's no doubt that, for me, there were perks: most significantly the flexibility to fit work around childcare, but also being able to choose what projects I took on and having no commute (with the attendant savings in terms of cost and time).

But, on the down side, freelance editorial work was poorly paid and therefore the awareness that I had to create my own safety net was a burden - plus the ability to work anywhere and at any time meant that I often found myself doing just that. Freelancing can be great, and it certainly suited our circumstances at the time - but there is also something to be said for regular paid employment that gives you your evenings and weekends back.

No comments: