Monday, February 26, 2018

Quote of the day

"On 19 February 2018 I made a seriously defamatory statement on my Twitter account, 'Ben Bradley MP (@bbradleymp)', about Jeremy Corbyn, alleging he sold British secrets to communist spies.

I have since deleted the defamatory tweet. I have agreed to pay an undisclosed substantial sum of money to a charity of his choice, and I will also pay his legal costs.

I fully accept that my statement was wholly untrue and false. I accept that I caused distress and upset to Jeremy Corbyn by my untrue and false allegations, suggesting he had betrayed his country by collaborating with foreign spies.

I am very sorry for publishing this untrue and false statement and I have no hesitation in offering my unreserved and unconditional apology to Jeremy Corbyn for the distress I have caused him."

Tory MPs issuing grovelling public apologies - Schadenfreude doesn't come much better than that. You'd think that someone recently appointed as Vice Chair for Youth would have a firmer grasp of how social media works, as well as more sense than to attack the politician who has done more than any other for years to invigorate and engage with young people - but then this is the Tories we're talking about.

No comments: