Saturday, September 16, 2017

Heavenly records

What better way for Constellation to mark the twentieth year of its existence than with a new album from Godspeed You! Black Emperor? After all, the celebrated indie label has been synonymous with the Montreal collective almost since its inception, to the extent that Godspeed have come to embody their whole not-playing-by-the-established-rules ethos.

However, Luciferian Towers isn't out until next week, so in the meantime Pitchfork writer Stuart Berman has selected ten of Constellation's most "crucial" releases. The inclusion of Godspeed's debut  (as opposed to its better, more accomplished successors) makes sense, given its wider significance, but I would take issue with Berman's choice of 2005's Horses In The Sky to represent Godspeed offshoot A Silver Mt Zion - to my mind, the earlier Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upward is far superior, not least due to the sensational album closer 'The Triumph Of Our Tired Eyes'.

Nevertheless, the article is a good read, and has prompted me to dig out the featured Do Make Say Think LP and also contemplate giving Carla Bozulich and Ought - who've previously left me underwhelmed - another try.

1 comment:

skif said...

I'm delighted to see the Evangelista album in there. One of my all time favourites that, the title track possibly in my 8 Desert Island Discs (not that I'll ever be asked on it - I realise that).