Friday, August 18, 2017

From pain and perseverance to publication

Coming to the end of your doctoral research, or already sitting on a thesis that's gathering dust? In a piece for the LSE Impact Blog, my former Taylor & Francis colleague Terry Clague offers some helpful guidance on how to turn your research into publications of interest to a wider readership than just your examiners.

It may be that, like me, you still harbour fantasies of publication even though you're long out of academia. If so, I can readily understand the feeling of wanting to have more to show for those three (or four, or five) years of solitary graft than just three letters after your name that only rarely come in handy. I can also appreciate why you might have decided to get out, though - attempting to forge a career in academia can be psychologically bruising, as this Guardian article and the recent experience of my friend Cat underline.

(Thanks to Terry and Cat for the links.)

No comments: