Lessons learned from catching half of The Joy Of The Guitar Riff on BBC4 last night:
1. I really must buy some King Crimson and Runaways albums.
2. Nile Rodgers' guitar motif on Chic's 'Good Times' has to be the most plagiarised riff ever.
3. Brian May looks more like an eighteenth-century French aristocrat with every passing day.
4. There has only been one really iconic riff written since Kurt Cobain came up with 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', and that's the White Stripes' 'Seven Nation Army'. I was spluttering with disbelief, but on reflection it's hard to argue with.
5. I ought to watch more BBC4 music documentaries.